Wednesday, August 19

Emma's First Day of Kindergarten

I realized yesterday that I was going to have a harder time with this "Emma going to kindergarten" thing than I thought. I savored every moment with her yesterday as if I would never see her again. I woke up at 6:00AM this morning with a pit in my stomach and occasional tears in my eyes as I got myself dressed. I had amazing friends and family texting me, emailing, and calling just to tell me that they were praying for Emma and for me today.

John and I got both girls up at 6:45 and settled them on the couch for their morning chocolate milk and cartoon. Emma had requested chocolate chip pancakes and bacon for breakfast, so that was what we had. We got dressed, fixed hair and took a few pictures before heading out the door.

Emma prayed for her cousins who were also starting school today and John prayed for Emma (and for his wife who was already a bit weepy) on our way to the school. We got out of the car and headed towards the front door with all the other families. I was doing okay until I spotted a new friend who also has a little girl starting kindergarten. The tears welled up.

Emma wanted to say hi to Davis (her best little boyfriend and my best friends little boy), so they got together for a cute picture. They have been in the same class since they were 1 year old, but this year they are not together.

We went into Emma's class and her teacher greeted her with a hug and showed her where to put her lunch. We found her desk where the teacher had play-dough out for them to play with while everyone showed up. All this time, I'm doing great. Then the teacher tells Emma to give me a hug. She wraps her arms around me and I completely lose it. Ugly tears. The teacher gives me a hug too. Bless her. She offered to take a picture of our whole family which was so nice even though I'm obviously crying. I recovered and was telling Emma goodbye. I kissed her hand and wrapped the kiss up. (The Kissing Hand is a must read book for sending your kids to school) I was doing okay.
Right before Emma was about to go sit down, Brooklyn ran up to Emma and gave her a huge hug and said, "I will miss you Emma." I completely lost it again and decided we should leave. We left, John hugged me and the 3 of us walked to the car.









Luckily, Brooklyn and I had plans with all of my awesome friends with kindergarten kids. We had a "Boo Hoo Breakfast" together at Chickfila. All of our kids did awesome going today, but the Moms were the ones that were still a bit weepy.

Brooklyn is laying down for a nap and my house is strangely quiet. I'm counting down the minutes until I can go pick Emma up! I hope she tells me details! I will let you know!

6 comments:

Amber@theRunaMuck said...

Now I'm weepy. I'm dying to hear how it all went, too.

Your BIG on my heart. I'm so glad you wrote all this down.

Amber@theRunaMuck said...

"YOU'RE " - I couldn't stand it. I had to correct myself.

kate said...

I am sitting at my computer with tears streaming down my face! I don't guess I get to escape the kindergarten tears b/c I am crying for you! We will keep praying for her and you! Can't wait to hear how her first day went. I have been dying to call you, but I didn't know when was a good time. I definitely won't call now that she is home! I will try tonight or tomorrow during the day. Hugs to you!

Sydney said...

Oh Al. I am bawling!
I am so proud of you (and E) What a big day!
Love the pictures. I really can't believe our kids are getting so big!

Sarah said...

One of Grant's good friends from preschool is going to Young: Anna Grace. She is super cute and sweet so be on the look out!

Kristin said...

Oh, great post!! It's so sweet how excited they are at this age to see Mommy pull up after school! I hope she talks and talks about her day!